- Rigorous study in technique, choreography & performance classes weekly in a range of dance styles and genres.
- Learn and perform repertory from master choreographers currently working on Broadway, National Tours, TV and Film.
- Perform in 2-6 Musicals a year through our Musical Theater Workshop programming.
Musical Theater Recanati-Kaplan scholars have gone on to:
- Tony Award Winning Broadway Careers
- Ivy League schools
- Undergraduate & Graduate programs in dance and dance education
The 92Y Pre-Professional Musical Theater Program prepares committed and gifted students in grades 2–12 for college and/or a professional career in the performing arts, led by a highly qualified faculty. The curriculum provides students with inclusive training in tap, jazz, contemporary, ballet, acting, singing, and performance. The Program provides students with rich experiences on and off stage preparing for careers as performers, stage managers, directors, choreographers, educators and designers.
Weekly Dance Schedule
Students train a minimum of 4-5 days a week with classes in Jazz, Tap, Contemporary, Musical Theater Ballet and Choreography. Students also rehearse and perform in our Fall & Spring Musicals. Each schedule custom designed based upon students’ age/level/interest. Fall 2019 Musicals include: Disney’s Cinderella Kids, Disney’s Beauty & The Beast & 42nd Street.
Other Yearly Requirements:
3-5 Nursing Home/Community Showcases
Winter Dance Convention Performance
3-5 Master Classes throughout the year
Participation in Fall & Spring Assessment
Assistant Teacher Training Program & Assistant Teaching (when applicable)
Optional: Hershey Park Performance
We will begin accepting new applications for the 20/21 year on February 1, 2020.
RK Musical Theater Mentor: