Celebrate Pi Day this year with Cathy Barrow and her take on the delicious new food trend—slab pies!
Washington Post columnist and IACP award-winning cookbook author, Cathy Barrow, thinks outside the crust and unpacks the unfussy world of slab pies. Baked in quarter sheet pans, and serving 8-16, slab pies are like regular pies, only better (and bigger!). Cathy offers different crust recipes which, because they require no rolling pins or crimping, are approachable for even reluctant bakers.
Learn more about some easy sweet and savory recipes for your next dessert, dinner party, holiday side, or family meal, including:
- No-Campfire-Necessary S’mores Slab Pie with a Graham Cracker Crust
- Dairy-Free and Passover-Perfect Coconut Cream Slab Pie with a Matzo Crumb Crust
- Sausage and Biscuit Slab Pie with a Ritz Cracker Crust
- After-Thanksgiving Turkey Slab Pie with a Butter and Shortening Crust
- Leftover Cranberry Sauce Slab Pie with a Shortbread Crust
“Cathy Barrow could write a cookbook about hexagonal pies and we’d be rolling up our sleeves to cook out of it. But it just so happens that we love slab pies (among many good reasons, they often endow you with leftovers and we’re proud members of the Pie for Breakfast Club). In Pie Squared, Cathy has given us inspiration and smart ideas that will make us picnic, potluck, and dinner party heroes for years.”—Amanda Hesser and Merrill Stubs, co-founders of Food52
A book signing follows the event.