This program is taking place remotely. If you have signed up, you will receive an email with details of how to access the program.
Dance Up! A National Platform for Emerging Teen Choreographers is a unique performance opportunity for teen choreographers (ages 13 to 19 years) to present work in a professional NYC venue.
Included as one of the 92Y Harkness Presents Series, choreographers apply and are then selected based upon choreographic ideas expressing clear intent and invention. All dance styles accepted. Applications are due Friday, February 14, 2020. Choreographers will be notified of their acceptance by February 25, 2020. Chosen dance composers will receive a certificate of official selection and be invited to present and perform at the historic 92Y Harkness Dance Center on April 25, 2020.
Interested choreographers should complete an application (due February 14, 2020).
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Theme: Use dance to express an idea or subject that’s important to you or our culture.
- Exploration: Choose movement that shows a wide range of movement possibilities; be bold.
- Design: Make the dance organized and structured; show that you made decisions about the sequence.
- Invention: Surprise us with new and original ways of making dances; go to the unknown and bring it to share.
- Performance: Show us the energy that the dance requires and deserves; tell the dancers to “bring it.”