Why do audiences embrace screen heroes who pretend, lie and cheat?
This eight-week series explores the greatest films of romantic impersonation, manufactured war and assumed identity. Each screening features an introduction and guided discussion afterward.
- The Hoax (2006), directed by Lasse Halstrom, starring Richard Gere and Alfred Molina
- The Mating Season (1951), directed by Mitchell Leisen, starring John Lund, Gene Tierney and Thelma Ritter
- Running on Empty (1988), directed by Sidney Lumet, starring Christine Lahti, Judd Hirsch and River Phoenix
- Wag the Dog (1997), directed by Barry Levinson, starring Dustin Hoffman and Robert De Niro
- The Americanization of Emily (1964), directed by Arthur Hiller, starring James Garner, Julie Andrews and Melvyn Douglas
- Hail the Conquering Hero (1944), directed by Preston Sturges, starring Eddie Bracken, Ella Raines and William Demarest
- Roman Holiday (1953), directed by William Wyler, starring Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn
- The Shop Around the Corner (1940), directed by Ernst Lubitsch, starring James Stewart and Margaret Sullivan
Mark Ethan, a member of the Actors Studio, has appeared in films including The Secret Lives of Dentists, The Confession and Lesser Prophets. He has been teaching cinema classes for 92Y since 2003.
If you have any questions, need assistance with your order or require special seating considerations, such as wheelchair accessible seating or hearing assistance, please call Customer Service at 212.415.5500 during our Hours of Operation.
If you prefer, you can order your tickets and class enrollments by calling Customer Service at 212.415.5500 during our Hours of Operation, using Visa, MasterCard or American Express. You can also place your order by fax, by mail, or in person at our Box Office on Lexington Avenue at 92nd Street.
Have a group?
Groups of 10 or more receive a 15% discount. Please note that certain events may not qualify for a group rate. To make group arrangements or need further assistance, you may contact Customer Service at 212.415.5500 during our Hours of Operation.
Get to the front of the line!
Priority registration puts you at the front of the line to register for courses and events for an upcoming semester.
Eligible patrons will be able to order priority registration online.
Who is eligible for priority registration?
Individuals who have participated in 92nd Street Y programs over the past year in selected program areas, participants in certain memberships, and those who have made contributions of $500 or more to 92Y, are eligible to register for programs before they become available to the general public.
How do I know if I qualify?
Patrons that qualify for Priority Registration will receive packets in the mail explaining how to purchase online. Priority registration is normally mailed 2-3 weeks before a catalog is available. Registration information includes your Patron ID#. You can use this ID# to setup your login information online. This will allow you to register early for a course or event. Please note: if you receive a packet, you are only eligible to priority register for the programs covered in your packet.
Priority Registration Support
To find out if you are eligible for priority registration, don't have your Patron ID#, or having difficulty ordering online, please call 212.415.5500 or email.