Founded more than a century ago to serve the Jewish people, 92nd Street Y promotes individual and family development and participation in civic life within the context of Jewish values and American pluralism.
As a nonprofit community and cultural center, the YM-YWHA seeks to create, provide and disseminate programs of distinction that foster the physical and mental health of human beings throughout their lives, their educational and spiritual growth and their enjoyment.
92nd Street Y reaches out beyond its core constituency of American Jews to serve people of diverse racial, religious, ethnic and economic backgrounds, seeking partnerships that leaven our programs and broaden our influence.
Goals and Values
In fulfilling its mission, 92nd Street Y will:
- Promote a public pride in the Jewish heritage and in modern Jewish civilization; respect and respond to the diversity of religious, cultural and intellectual expression in contemporary Jewish life and foster constructive and mutually respectful relations among Jews; uphold the historic Jewish emphasis on study, love of ideas, sanctity of family, the cycle of Jewish times and seasons, commitment to social justice and respect for humanity; provide a setting in which Jews cultivate and strengthen their Jewish identity; and affirm its commitment to the State of Israel and to world Jewry
- Encourage and assist creative expression and the development of aesthetic sensibilities and evaluative skills
- Offer a forum for open consideration of varying viewpoints on both timeless and timely social, cultural, religious and political issues
- Assist people to develop skills and talents and to negotiate the stages of their lives
- Provide subsidy to its programs and scholarships to participants in need
- Maintain its capacity to continue its services into the future
Guided by its mission, 92nd Street Y, a registered 501(C)(3), will become the model Jewish community and cultural center for the 21st century, attracting, serving and energizing current and future generations as a modern, relevant and inclusive organization, emphasizing modern Jewish values and programming.
To achieve this goal, 92nd Street Y will:
- Offer programs and services of exceptional quality that serve the needs of our patrons
- Increase its focus on children, young adults and young families
- Increase its offerings to the "boomer" population
- Continue to serve the changing needs of the senior population
- Seek to increase the global reach of our institution
- Create new opportunities that support our mission by leveraging all of our assets
- Offer patrons a physical and technological environment of the highest quality that supports our programs
- Improve our communications to ensure that patrons, supporters and the broader community understand the range of programming, services and goals of our institution
- Create a human resources plan that provides for appropriate staffing, staff training and development and facilitates successful leadership transitions
- Institute an enhanced board development plan that supports the vision, encourages significant personal and financial commitment and cultivates the next generation of leaders