"Cuddled on rollercoaster. Kissed under fireworks."
"Summer camp: alone, with Sedaris anecdotes."
"Teacher by school-year. Freak by summer."
"Mentally washed up on the beach."
"Satan called. Wants his heat back."
"Take me back to swings, fireflies."
SMITH Magazine, home of the wildly popular Six-Word Memoir project, returns to 92YTribeca to present an exciting lineup of writers and musicians who start with a Six-Word Memoir and then have six minutes to tell their backstories. At the end of the night, we invite you to share your own six words on this hot, fun, miraculous and messy thing called summer in an audience participation Six-World Slam.
The lineup includes:
• Ann Leary, author of Outtakes From a Marriage and An Innocent, A Broad. She is co-host of the new NPR show Hash Hags.
• Susan Blackwell, co-starred in [Title of Show] and co-wrote/performed in the recent lab production of Now. Here. This. She hosts Broadway.com's "Side by Side by Susan Blackwell".
• Joe Iconis, writer/performer/co-author of Things to Ruin, Bloodsong of Love: The Rock ‘n’ Roll Spaghetti Western and The Joe Iconis Rock and Roll Jamboree.
• Deborah Copaken Kogan, author of Shutterbabe, Between Here and April, Hell Is Other Parents and the forthcoming novel, The Red Book.
• Josh Wolk, entertainment editor of NYMag.com and author of the memoir, Cabin Pressure: One Man's Desperate Attempt to Recapture His Youth as a Camp Counselor.
• … and maybe YOU! Write your Six-Word summer-related memoir on the Wall of SMITH Mag’s Facebook page and we'll invite one of you to join the performers on stage to tell your Six-Word Memoir and backstory!
Tickets $10 adv/ $12 door.